Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Those EYES


In previous posts, I may have been bit unfair to "The Boys" --- my Bichon Frise, Chapi, and my Shih Tzu, Indiana (Indy for short).  I know that on at least two occasions I've described my weekly get away to Dunkin' Donuts for coffee, a toasted coconut donut and my Washington Post.  They were described as get aways from the pleading looks of those very well trained beggars I call The Boys.  Now that I am home a good part of the day, I am able to observe their goings on...well, I wouldn't characterize that too much is really going on...but I can observe their lives, shall we say.  For the most part, they fill their time with sleeping, eating, barking at other dogs out the window and the squirrels out the patio door, and of course, relieving themselves.  The rest of the time, they are following me around, which sometimes makes me so crazy and other times warms my heart to no end.  It is a cliche, but who else in our lives provides us with such unconditional love?  

At 14, Chapi is not the Bichon blitzing puppy who entertained us so much with running in circles around the dining room and living rooms.  He doesn't bounce up and down the stairs any longer, but sometimes likes to be carried up and down.  He no longer jumps on to our high bed, nor even our much lowered bed (lowered to help him with jumping on and off).  A set of stairs provided by my good friend, Jersey Girl, when her own loving Jack Russell could no longer see well enough to use them, does not call to him that they will provide him his independence for a bit longer.  He seems somehow resigned to being lifted up and many times off the bed.  His only goal in life, it seems, it being velcroed to my side.  It gets annoying in a townhouse when being at my side means multiple trips up and down the stairs especially when those trips now include either carrying him or worrying that he will hurt himself.  He only 50% of the time seems to understand the command STAY.

At 12, Indy hasn't seemed to change much.  Always cat-like since the day we rescued him from a broken family in Florida, he is not the velcro-dog like Chapi.  He prefers to keep to himself.  He doesn't really like to be held and hides in the bedroom if very many people are here, especially children.  He looks like a little stuffed dog and perhaps this is his way of telling people - BACK OFF, I'M NOT YOUR TOY!  The one observation I have about him, however, is that when Chapi is not around, he does like to snuggle a bit with me.  He will quickly jump off my lap, however, if Chapi returns.  He some how knows that the furry white one needs to be there and jumps down.

Red and Rover spoke to me about what they mean to us and what we mean to them.  I know that all of you with pets of your own know this feeling.  If you don't have a "boy" or "girl" of your own, consider adopting.  You will most certainly hear those words if you do--- "You've made my world."

I have to add this comic because it made me laugh.  Sort of sick humor, but funny.


No comments:

Post a Comment