Thursday, November 29, 2012

DAY 90 - PERFORMANCE REVIEW

I thought that title might get some of you who are still working----Performance Review!  HAHAHAHAHA

Actually, today is 90 days since retirement.  I thought it was a good time to review where I've been on this journey.  I don't think that my journey is much different than some of yours will be when you retire.  So take note, if you wish.

1.  September - 

  • Bike trip to Italy.  Fantastic.
  • First retirement check.  Scary.  More on this in 2013.

2.  October - 

  • Visit home.  Realities of getting older with elderly parents.  This is an on-going trip.
  • Started my "plan" to clean and fix up the house.  Mind-blowing.  I've adjusted my performance standards on this plan.  Everything takes so much longer than I thought it would.  Thus far, guest bathroom finished.   I've gotten guest bedroom cleaned and master bathroom cleaned.  Also learned that I can spray paint (Rustoleum oiled bronze) my old brass fixtures, which made a huge difference in the bath.  I really like it!   I'm not sure I'd get even a three on this performance review. 
  • Registered for 2013 bike trip from Brugges to Amsterdam!

4.  November - 

  • This was the month when I was going to set up an exercise plan based on classes available through Gold's.  Don't ask.  Moving this plan to January!
  • War Horse at the Kennedy Center
  • Signed up for oil painting class in January.  One accomplishment.
  • Signed up for a "travel" writing class in New York - January 12.  Will let you know.
  • Thanksgiving - eleven guests including sleepovers.  A success.
  • Christmas - figured out my "theme" for Christmas dinner decorations, started the plan, decorated the Christmas tree, hung the wreaths in the windows (9), and placed the electric candles in the windows.
  • Learned to make and can roasted peppers....I'll stick with buying them in the future.
  • Learning to make biscotti today.  
5.  December plans:

  • Trip to Middleburg for Christmas parade
  • 15th - Famous Christmas dinner - at least a ten year tradition.
  • 16th - Dream Girls at the Signature Theater
  • 22nd - Trip home
  • Finances - working on what I will draw out of my retirement savings to pay the bills. I'm giving myself a year to figure this all out.  Too much ebb and flow of money right now with the home improvements and holidays!  More on this as I figure it out.
I haven't accomplished writing out the 100 things I want to do in retirement.  I think I am just too boring to come up with 100 ideas.  Really, nothing is jumping out at me.

Have not started any volunteer efforts yet, although I did email the White House and suggest myself for any volunteering that would help educate citizens on Obamacare.  I think this would be a good use of my talents and would support health care efforts.

1 comment: