Monday, November 12, 2012

TAR HEEL Forever

Ft. Fisher Pier- Kure Beach
I love North Carolina. Loved it since the first day I arrived in Chapel Hill in 1975.  I moved here from St. Louis, Missouri where as graduate students we had no money, and lived in not a great neighborhood.  Campus was in the city, much unlike the Big Ten experience I had had at Purdue.  We definitely did not enjoy St Louis  as much as we could have.  Chapel Hill was a completely different experience...beautiful campus, big basketball program, lots of spirit.  I loved it.

Now that I am older and retired I continue my love affair with this state.  The Ft. Fisher Pier and I have become and remain great friends.  This was yesterday morning right after breakfast---two blocks from my friend's place.  That ocean air really gets to you.  We both said how relaxed we feel here, and we think it is the air.

Retirement is great because we don't have to rush back home to get back to work.  So today will be spent putzing around the house fixing little things..no longer laying out at the beach getting a sun tan!  HA!  The price of retirement is that you are old enough to have age spots and not want any more.

I can't help but show my UNC pride with this bumper sticker I saw yesterday (even though my friend is a Duke graduate).


2 comments:

  1. Let me know when you are near!! We'll do lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Tarheel country as well. Going to be buried in the U. North Carolina Arboretum when I die. It will feel like coming home.

    ReplyDelete