Monday, October 15, 2012

Retirement Plans - tougher than I thought

It is day 45, exciting travel is over, trip home is accomplished, thank you cards have been written.  So now it is time to get to my first thought about what I would do when I retired.  I've been told that this is what EVERYONE says they are going to do when they retire, well at least all of the women.  

Today I started my room to room cleaning project!  My idea is that if I can clean, fix up things that need fixing, paint, etc... one room a week, by Christmas I'll have the perfect clean house.

I even set up a schedule:  Week One - guest room, Week Two - closet (really our third bedroom made into MY closet), Week Three - both upstairs bathrooms and so on.

I took the guest room first because I figured it would be the easiest.  After my Body Pump class with Friend, hanging my fall wreath on the door,  and a quick trip to the post office, I was ready to go at 11:30.  It is now 2:30 and I am done cleaning, but not washing all of the linens, etc....  How in the world I thought I was also going to paint and fix things I'll never know, but the room is so clean!  

This is retirement, I think.  The house was never dirty, but when you are working, cleaning means sweep the floors, dust, wash the windows a couple times a year.  When you are retired, cleaning includes taking down the curtains, cleaning the window sills, and cleaning out the closet.  It also means actually attaching the bed frame to the headboard that you bought at least five years ago.  I did that by myself although I did have a thought for a fleeting moment to wait until the Latin Lover came home and get him to do it.  That would have been WRONG as I believe I should learn to do these things myself....and I did.

One great thing about today is that I was able to use my great-grandmother's crocheted lace, which has been sewn onto a bed skirt.  It is beautiful and I am so glad to have it.  That inspired me to wash, dry and store several crocheted afghans that MY mother made for me.  One day I hope that my nieces and nephews will appreciate receiving them.

Thank god I only planned on one room a week.  I am TIRED.

No comments:

Post a Comment