Monday, October 1, 2012

It is a different world

Day 30 of retirement.  I'm back "home" --- meaning where I grew up not where I  call home today.  Lots of things have been of interest to me.  

1. Where I live now---my hometown--- I never go to local high school sports events because I don't have anyone in high school.  I suppose the events are the same where I live now, but somehow they seem so "American" here in Indiana.  Saturday I went back to my old high school -- Our Lady Of Providence---to see my 16 year old niece play soccer.  It was such a different experience to see generations of families in the stands.  Even though I've been gone over 40 years, I still recognized many of the family names.




2.  Mom, dad and I stopped at the White Castle for coffee one morning.  Dad said he didn't want anything to eat because of the outrageous prices----63 cents for a White Castle hamburger!  I got him a breakfast biscuit and he ate it.  I didn't see the purpose of arguing about 63 cents for a hamburger.  Have I become jaded living in the nation's capital where nothing costs 63 cents?

3.  I wanted to buy wine yesterday, but realized that was impossible on a Sunday in Indiana.  Had to do with Dad's Paisano.

4.  My nephew, Nick, is a proud organic farmer --- Finger Pickin' Farms.  Enjoyed visiting one of the farmer's markets where he sells his wares.  We enjoyed his organic lettuce mix and got some tatsoi.  Didn't know what "tatsoi" was, but we are finding out now.  Mom and I are going to try a warm salad made from tatsoi, ginger, sesame oil and rice vinegar.  Will let you know about it after we've tried it.

5.  Having dinner with friends from high school at 6;30.  I'm not even sure who is coming, but I am looking forward to it.

On an aside, not related to being home:


My humor "detractors" can NOT tell me this isn't funny! 

 The hubby and I went to a professional baseball game one time.  He is not familiar with baseball (soccer is his home country's sport).  After a while, he asked me, "Are they playing yet?"  honestly, I wasn't sure.   We WERE entertained, however, the whole night by four drunk fans two rows in front of us and we loved Camden Yards and the hot dogs!

1 comment:

  1. We were so high up in the stands that night it was hard to see the teams on the field! It sounds like you're having a great visit with your family. White Castle burgers rock!

    ReplyDelete