Wednesday, October 10, 2012

....a woman can be tough

I wish were a better writer at times like this.  If only I could channel the Judge into my writing, if I had his talent.  I had a fantastic time tonight and no matter how I try to explain it, I'm afraid it will sound funny.  But it wasn't.  It was fabulous.  

The Lass, Motorbike and I went to see --- One Night with Janis Joplin.  I was not a real big Joplin fan as a teen.  I saw her once in concert and was pretty shocked....12 years of catholic school did not prepare me for her language.  I liked her music, I knew her music, and I just thought the play might be fun.  I was not prepared for the way I would feel seeing and hearing her...the actress playing her had her down pat.

The theater was filled with people, let me just say, of a certain age.  I saw a few with walkers and oxygen tanks, MANY grannies and maybe great grannies in the audience...okay, okay, my generation.  You've never seen people rock a theater like this!  People were on their feet, they were calling out, they were clapping to the music.  It was alive.

I'm not sure why the experience affected me like it did, as I said, it wasn't because I was such a fan.  Some of it may have been sitting there thinking about my youth and the youths of all these other people, and sharing this experience of nearly fifty years ago.  

But no one in the audience was thinking about eldercare, medicare, or presidential elections, they were ROCKING!!!!

MY HOMAGE TO JANIS:

Piece of My Heart (1967)

Didn't I make you feel like you were the only man, well yeah,
An' didn't I give you nearly everything that a woman possibly can?
Honey, you know I did!
And each time I tell myself that I, well I think I've had enough,
But I'm gonna show you, baby, that a woman can be tough.



No comments:

Post a Comment