Thursday, August 16, 2012

MALE READERS/QUEASY YOUNGER WOMEN – THIS IS NOT FOR YOU


.
Ladies, just got back from my mammogram.  Jeez.  I know the alternative isn’t desirable, but my gosh, can’t there be a better way?  It isn’t always this way, and I don’t want to scare those younger women who have not started this process, but today it hurt!

I know I complained that the Body Pump designers are sadistic, but they are NOTHING compared to the designers of the mammogram machine.  Maybe it gets better as you get older, you know, the breasts start drooping and kind of going flat – right?  But right now they are NOT flat.  So okay for those of you who haven’t experienced this --- men if you are still reading --- and younger women---this is how today went.

A rather disgruntled radiology technician – I guess that is the professional title-- takes me into a small, clinical looking room and hands me this contraption that is supposed to protect my pelvic area.  In my case, it was thick hard metal rod in a circular shape that I was supposed twist open to put around my waist.  I'm not sure how to explain it, except it is like one of those metal rings you must twist to put your keys and loyalty cards onto only much bigger.  I managed to do it, but when the technician later said “suck in your breath”  I wondered why she would need to say that.  I was sucked in.  Oh yeah.  Sucked in good.

I should be grateful I suppose because I believe there was a bigger size sitting on the table so I guess I looked small enough for the one I got.  That was a bit of consolation, and I was NOT going to ask for the bigger size.  I have my pride..

Next the technician takes the paper gown (and believe me that is a stretch calling this thing a gown) off of my upper body, shoves me against this machine with what looks like two pieces of hard clear plastic about five inches from each other---sort of like a big clear sandwich and my breast is the filling.  She pulls my right breast between the two hard pieces of plastic, walks behind a shield and presses the button that makes the machine SQUEEZE.  

When I say squeeze, imagine taking a child’s balloon that you have blown to its full capacity (don’t laugh – they are still pretty perky) and placing it between two encyclopedias then adding the family bible and the unabridged Webster dictionary. 

That technician is lucky that she walked behind the shield before she pressed that squeeze button.  If I had been able to get at her I’m not sure what I would have done.  As she presses squeeze, she is also saying to me “hold your breath.”  I had been holding it since the metal rod was wrapped around my middle, but I will admit, I WAS able to suck in a little more.

The only good thing about today other than the obvious that I can afford health care was the sick mental picture I was enjoying of a machine that could be developed to detect penis cancer.  As I envisioned it, the machine would be much lower than the one for breast cancer, obviously.  It would be more tubular shaped – kind of like a hot dog bun—but the psi (pressure per square inch) would be about 90, which is the psi for my bicycle tires.  

I have no doubt that a man invented the mammogram machine, so it is only fair that a woman invent the penogram machine.

That’s how my day went today – 15 days from retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment