Sunday, August 19, 2012

AYN RAND - MOLLY IVINS

Okay, I WAS going to say something about these two women and their writings, but this isn't a political blog.  All I will say is that I am GREATLY looking forward to Kathleen Turner's new play about Molly called RED HOT PATRIOT!  

Today is day minus12 and I had wanted to count down each day until THE day, but I just never had time since day minus 15.  So, this will be a little mix of the last few days to catch up.  Some were more interesting than others.  For example, day 13 was a riot.  But let me start from the beginning.

Day minus 14 - Friday.  I consider this day the last day of real meaningful meetings and the end of my era.  Nothing too significant happened, but I did end my career with an agreement from a different office to partner with us (I should say "them" since I won't be here) to address issues for military families with special needs.  I'll leave it at that.

Day minus 13 - Saturday.  This was one of those glorious days in August when the morning temperature is almost cool.  I put down the top on my convertible (no longer consider it almost new - hit 5,000 miles last week) to drive only a couple miles to meet Friend, Pretty Pretty and Motorbike for a GREAT bike ride and then to a production of Menopause.  We were planning a 20+ mile ride at Indian Head Trail, a quick trip home, a shower and then Metro to the Warner Theater.  What could be better?

About 15 miles into the ride, Motorbike and I were discussing the noise coming from her bike.  It was an annoying rattling, but when we checked everything it seemed really tight.  Then KABAM!  As we were riding right next to woods that were posted "PUBLIC HUNTING" I almost fell off my bike trying to jump for cover.  Not gunfire.  We learned the hard way, if your bike is making a horrible rattling sound, don't ignore it.  Her back tire had blown up.  In fact, it blew so hard, that it cracked the plastic case that holds the battery for the electric motor she had customized onto her bike - thus her nickname - Motorbike.

The others were not too far ahead and agreed to get the cars and come back for us.  It wasn't really too bad.  We had a 3 mile walk, but all in all not a bad day.... yet.

Less than an hour later we had cars, bike racks loaded, and wished our two companions farewell as they took off.  As we drove down the highway, in the rear view mirror, Motorbike saw the bike rack sliding off the trunk.  She made an emergency maneuver, I jumped out and grabbed what was left of the bike rack before both bikes hit the pavement.  As it were, our long gone companions were driving an SUV and possibly could have fit two more bikes.  We were driving a two door Lexus with 348,000 miles on it, 20 miles from home with two bikes and no bike rack.

Twenty minutes later with one bungee cord and what I could salvage from the now thrown-to-the-side-of-the-road bike rack, we had disassembled the front tires, maneuvered the rest of the two bikes into the trunk, tied the trunk down with the bungee cord and two clips from the bike rack, thrown the front tires in the back seat, and left the bike rack by the side of the road.  I hate people who leave things on the side of the road, but honestly, there was NO ROOM IN THAT CAR.

For the twenty miles home all I could think of was that bumper being pulled off the back of the car by our tie down.  I also vowed no more distant bike rides on the same day we have tickets for a 2:00 show.

Today, minus 12 - nothing note worthy, but I continue hauling stuff from my office.

If you haven't seen Menopause, do it.  My two favorite scenes were "Good Vibrations" and "What's Love Got to Do With It."  If you see the show, you will understand.

1 comment:

  1. Im so impressed that you were able to handle each crisis on your own without calling a man or hiking up your bike shorts and pushing up your boobs to get attention from one driving by... Girl Power Rules!!!

    ReplyDelete