Tuesday, January 8, 2013

OIL PAINTING CLASS - UPDATE

In reality, I didn't want to go to the basic oil painting class today because I can't draw and I have no talent.  But, I had put over $500 into the project, I've been telling everyone for years that I want to paint and I just couldn't stay home.  I am SO glad that I did it.  It was terrific.  There is so much to learn.  One of the best things I learned today is that not all painters are terrific  at drawing.  I also learned that even the teacher can paint better from a photo than from a live person. 

We learned about under-drawing, which is basically drawing the picture you will eventually paint with oils.  Our first subject is a lovely green pear sitting on a blue cloth.  This is my drawing except that I've fixed the stem since I took this photo so it is more curved and therefore looks more like a stem than a stick!  I think my pear was pretty good.  It wasn't the best, but was not the worst.

Met a woman in the class who paints in acrylics with a palette knife and not brushes. I  loved her work and hope to learn more about her techniques in the future.  

It's funny.  I left that class on cloud nine.  Maybe you CAN teach old dogs new tricks.  More to come as the pear ripens.

2 comments:

  1. I painted back in the 60's and 70's. I still have two in the house. Painting is a wonderful way to spend part of your retirement. Eisenhower, Churchill and Hitler all painted. Be sure to post some of them so we can bid on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea to supplement my "meager retirement income!" I want to paint dogs and people, so I think I'll need a few more classes. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete