Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My bucket list - painting - class 2

 Last week I had my first oil painting lesson.  It was terrific.  We learned to draw the picture that would eventually be painted.  As a reminder, this is the pear that I drew last week.  I was very pleased to realize that I CAN draw if I just take my time.

The first thing we did in today's class was to set up our palette.  Not sure that you can see it clearly, but the colors start with lightening colors of white and a sort of cream color, then around the top with reds, yellows, greens, blues, umber and black.  I found it interesting how much the colors must be mixed for the final painting.  Having a feel for the colors, I am sure, is critical to being a an artist.  I just hope you can learn this, because it was much harder than it looked.  

This is my instructor's painting as she was showing us.how to do it.

This is my version (note that I fixed the stem from the original drawing).  I think it looks pretty good, but lots more to learn.  Besides colors, doing the shadows is a real challenge.  I'm keeping all of these for my portfolio and to remember from where I came....

1 comment: