Saturday, June 14, 2014

Italy through new eyes


This is our view from the window of an unbelievable apartment in Bassano del Grappa.  Carlotta is the owner of this B&B (Ca' Garibaldi), which my nephew and I rented for three days in this beautiful city in the foothills of the Dolomites.  Thank you Airbnb!  We arrived in Bassano after a 14 hour trip that took us from Washington Dulles airport to Paris Charles de Gaul (unfortunately not enough time to get into Paris, but that can be another trip), to Venice Marco Polo airport, then a bus ride to Mestre railstation and finally a train ride to Bassano.  He is freaking out with jet lag and I am trying to reassure him that it will get better.  If you haven't travelled internationally as frequently as I have, you don't have an appreciation of jet lag.  I think he is getting it now.

Carlotta and two members of my Italian family, Elena and Roberto, met us at the train station.  What a wonderful first day in Italy.  We showered, rested, then walked into the piazza for a small "aperitivo", then dinner with the family (unbelievable melon and prosciutto with Asgiao and grana cheeses, salad, and a spaghetti.  What could be more Italian.  I ended the day with a Bacio gelato, which was just about the most wonderful ice cream I have ever tasted...just like the Bacio candy here in Italy....dark chocolate with hazelnut pieces.  DJ and Roberto's girls, and Alessio took off for a night at the "disco."  Other than the jet lag, I think he is having a great time.  Unfortunately, he has not seen and probably won't see any Mafioso hanging out on the street.  I believe my dad and Hollywood have given him an unrealistic picture of Italy.  Elena thinks he might have better luck in southern Italy, but that will need to be another trip.

Did I mention that it was over 90 degrees here yesterday and there is no air conditioning?


No comments:

Post a Comment