Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Ciao, Bassano




Ponte Vecchio, Bassano del Grappa
Bassano del Grappa is my hometown in Italy.  It had to be the first stop on my tour with DJ so that he would get a taste of the real non-tourist country that I love.  We spent three days here with the Lago family including the youngest girls Elena and Stefania.  To say they wined and dined us is an understatement.  Between Lina's asparagi rissoto and Roberto's grilled chicken and sausages, we just about rolled out of town.  Not to mention the gelato (which I'm pretty sure I mentioned in the last blog).

Famiglia Lago

We were lucky to have the girls (and Alessio, Elena's boyfriend) to take us all around.  One of my favorite stops besides the old bridge is the walled city of Marostica.  We were not here at the time to see it, but this town hosts a life size Medieval chess tournament every September.  We were lucky, though, to see the city and to drive to the top of the wall where the old castle is now a very good and pricey restaurant.  We had just enough time to see the town and then get home for a home-cooked Italian of salad, pasta, vegetables and meat grilled in the fireplace of the family's "party room."  Lots of good wine and a little grappa at the end.

Roberto the chef

DJ, Alessio, Elena, Stefania

Our apartment balcony

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! What memories! I remember that day very vividly, trying to find their house. And yes, they wined and dined and grappa'd us! Glad you could share it with your nephew. You're a terrific European tour guide.

    ReplyDelete