Sunday, May 12, 2024

Esposende to Viana do Castelo Day 4/5

 

I'm not sure what motivated these pilgrims to walk 15 or 20 miles for weeks.  We are of course only walking 10 to 15 miles for two weeks so maybe the aha moments come after 15 miles.  I know my feet are asking me "why?" and my brain hasn't thought of a good response yet.

This is a beautiful country and very clean.  I've really enjoyed seeing plants I've never seen before and of course coveting them all.  We continue to see the giant white callas, of course,  but others I don't know and haven't been able to find on line.  

I'm really enjoying getting to know the two Cheryl's.  Of course I've known them for years from our bike trips but you don't really get to talk much on bikes like you do when walking six to eight hours together.  I am humbled, too, to realize that I am 74 and they are in their early 60s and 50s.  As much as I don't like to admit it, there is a difference in our stamina and speed.

Bom Camino is the expression on the trail when greeting the other walkers and the friendly locals.  It must be something to live on this and the other trails with literally thousands of strangers passing by each year.  I am so glad that all seem to cherish the trail.  No garbage, water bottles or paper litter the way.  I wish we could take this concept back home.

So, Bom Camino!





1 comment:

  1. Still looking for the weird lily!! Looking forward to the next installment!

    ReplyDelete