Wednesday, February 6, 2013

It seems that I've gotten a bit lazy with my blog, but in truth, I'm just so busy.  I started and finished my first "consulting" job.  Of course, that required me to research taxes, deductions, social security payments and medicare.  Then, of course, I had to set up a spreadsheet (what is a consultant without her spreadsheet?).  I want to see how much I make per hour of work.  My retired time is valuable, you see.  Actually, it was fun to get back in the swing of things.  I like to write, but only in my own way.  Hopefully, there will be a fit.

I returned to Martha's Table for my volunteer day.  I can't help it but I feel like the "Una Bomber" in my ball cap and dark glasses.  This photo doesn't do it justice.  As soon as I put the cap on, the glasses and the jacket with the collar turned up I feel like I am in disguise.  Friend says I am still recognizable, however, if I lower my head quite a bit on the Metro, I'm pretty sure I could not be recognized.  

One benefit of Martha's Table duty is the opportunity to explore the many restaurants in the U Street corridor.  This week it was a Uruguayan cafe, in a gas station.  Fast Gourmet is a real treat.  I can recommend their pulled pork sandwiches, fries and their Cubanos without reservation!  You order your food (from I believe the owner) inside the gas station (really a small cafe in the same building).  Only a short time later your name is called and out arrives the largest order of crispy thin fries and a large sandwich.  We were starving after making (but not eating) food but still could only eat half of what was served.  $8.50 ---   Try it out.    That's the owner in the backwards cap at the register.

 FAST GOURMET

1400 W St NW
(at N 14th St)
Washington, DC 20009

No comments:

Post a Comment