Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Maybe I am just a little bit nuts

Those who know me well know that I love PROJECTS!  They also know that my projects need to take a day or less to complete or I lose interest.  Normally I wouldn't even start something if I couldn't finish it in one day.  I'm impatient.  I want what I want when I want it.  I don't like anything to go wrong .... now why would anything go wrong on a day long project?  So what in the world possessed me to agree with my husband that we would remodel our master bathroom ourselves?  Okay Okay  I guess technically he is doing the work along with friends of his who are electricians and plumbers and I am taping down cardboard and plastic on the steps, fetching lunch, and carrying bad tiles down the stairs and good tiles up the stairs.  I also order everything, which is what inspired me to start this blog after a long absence from writing.

Like this but with dark brown feet and fixtures
Yesterday I took the plunge and ordered a white-acrylic-double-slipper-tubs-with -oiled-bronze-feet-and-fixtures, 68 inches wide, That was 6:45 last night.  At 3:23 a.m., I sat up in bed, started calculating the size of the area in which this tub would be installed (71 inches) AFTER the 9/16th inch marble is installed on both adjoining walls and started hyperventilating.

Being the top notch mathematician that I am, or used to be, I realized that my dream tub might be a hair too big for the space.  68 inches wide is what the photo said, but 68 and 5/8th inches is what the specs sheet said.  So, what would any other project warrior do in such a spot?  I emailed "Levi" the representative of TheTubConnection who had so nicely sent me the specs sheet prior to my order and said HELP!

Levi:  I"m afraid I've made a big mistake with my measurements.  Our space is 71 inches, but I did not take into consideration that we will be installing 9/16th inch marble on both sides, which means that this 68 3/4 inch tub just might not fit.  Do you have a slightly smaller tub in the same series?  PLEASE help me figure this out and cancel the order, and get a slightly smaller tub.  My order number is #xxxxxxxxx (placed on January 24, 2017 6:25:03 PM CST)

Please can you stop my order and find me a slightly smaller white-acrylic-double-slipper-tubs-with -oiled-bronze-feet-and-fixtures?  Then I spent an hour on TheTubConnection.com looking for this perfect tub again.  Of course, TheTubConnection has 71 inch tubs, smaller slipper tubs (but not double slipper)  and yes smaller copper ($$$$) double slipper tubs, but alas no 65-inch-white-acrylic-double-slipper-tubs-with -oiled-bronze-feet-and-fixtures.

The next 45 minutes were spent Googling the possibility of trimming a white-acrylic-double-slipper-tubs-with -oiled-bronze-feet-and-fixtures.  According to those weekend warriors and professional bath installers...not a good idea.  I emailed "Levi" anyway.  Maybe TheTubConnection sales rep would have better advice and bless my idea of trimming.

Levi:  OK, can you tell I am freaking out?  I think we might be able to install the tub at a slight angle within the 71 x 48 inch opening if it is too big to be put in straight.  Otherwise, would it be possible to slightly trim or grind down a side if it is just a little bit too large?

This morning I notified my husband of "our" little problem.  Expecting the worst, he just shrugged and said he thinks it will work.  If anything, we may need to angle the tub a bit and there is plenty of room for that, but he also thinks I was adding too much thickness to my calculations and that our white-acrylic-double-slipper-tubs-with -oiled-bronze-feet-and-fixtures will fit perfectly.

I emailed "Levi":  I'm not nuts, really. Just a wake-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night big worrier. Talked with my husband this morning and he thinks the tub will work fine. Please try to forget two previous emails. Rebecca

This morning I am ordering the shower fixtures.  Please keep me in your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment