Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Christmas Present

I hate it when Thanksgiving comes so late in the month.  I've have a couple little decorations for the holiday, but somehow it just seems pointless to put them out.  As soon as I do, I've got to put them away for Christmas.  CHRISTMAS!  


My Norman Rockwell idea of Christmas was not the way we celebrated Christmas when I grew up.  Six kids, lots of aunts and uncles on both sides, many houses to visit, and many gifts to open.  We never really decorated, a Christmaas tree for sure and perhaps a string of lights outside.   We didn't really sit down at the table and carve the turkey.  [Actually, this is a Norman Rockwell THANKSGIVING painting---but what the heck.  You get the idea.]

So, I've spent a lot of time as as an adult trying to create my own version of the Norman Rockwell Christmas.  For at least the past 12-13 years, I've hosted a dinner for eight of us (that's all the chairs I have) a couple weeks before the big day so that everyone can get to their own families for the 25th.  The eight participants  remained the same for many years....Lee, Suzanne, Ione, Ruthie, Dick, Peggy, the Latin Lover and me.  Old friends and my senior visitor project - Ruthie.  Ruthie died a few years ago at 97, so Pam took over her seat.  I had decided to expand the dinner this year (folding chairs---yuck) by adding my neighbors Kevin and Rita so we would now have ten.  Very sadly, Dick died this year and Ione could not make the celebration, so...once again eight.

My goal each year is to have a unique decorating plan and a unique menu---mostly recipes I've never tried before!  Yes, I know you should never try out new things, but I've only had one really bad outcome---flourless chocolate cake that was supposed to ooze out melted chocolate like an under cooked brownie.  Mine was so dry I had to cover it with Kool Whip!

This year Zebra and Red was the decorating theme.  I spent most of November and early December plotting out what I was going to do and then making the garlands, etc....Photos below attest to how it turned out.  

This garland took me days to make, but it turned out pretty well.  I'm hoping to sell all of these decorations on ebay.  On my meager retirement income I can't afford to make new things every year.  If you know of any one who wants red and zebra table cloths, napkins, etc... let me know.



Lighting the garden was a joint effort with me and my friend Rita.  Night time pictures don't really do it justice, but you get the picture.  Note to anyone who wants to do this kind of thing:  EXTENSION CORDS.  OMG, we must have used a dozen.  It will be better next year now that we know what to do.




I have fun every year matching my wrapping to the theme of the decorations.


This wreathe took me hours to make.  I copied it from one I had seen in a Christmas catalog for $359!  I like it, but now I understand why they charged so much for the original.

2013 Menu:  Emeril Legasse apricot glazed chicken and rice pilaf, Italian sauteed asparagus, and tasting desserts in mini wine glasses.  Everyone seemed to have a great time.  










I've got my theme picked out for next year.  I need peacock feathers.  Does anyone have a source?

No comments:

Post a Comment